Parliament Library with a history of one hundred years old is one of the fundamental institutions of Iran contemporary civilization. With the establishment of Constitution in Iran (1906), some of the intellectual Parliament representatives suggested to dedicate a building to a library in order to gather essential sources of knowledge for the Parliament members. It was the first Asian Parliamentary Library.
Establishing this library due many problems faced with the impasse in the first effort. However, in 1908 the educated representatives succeeded to ratify a legal matter in this regard.
The building with a limited space was adjacent to the Hoz khane ( a large room in the basement of a traditional Persian house with a small pond in the center ) called Constitution House. At the beginning a number of elite representatives used the library facilities, but gradually it welcomed to a huge number of researchers and students from all over of Iran.
Regarding to this fact, the librarians intended to allocate a more appropriate place for the public and specialized library. In the fifth term of National Consultative Assembly (1923), Aziz ol- Soltani Buildings on the east side of Baharestan Garden was purchased in order to make an honorable library.
With the appointment of Joseph Etesam ol- Molk Ashtiani , the library head in 1925, Parliament library was inaugurated as the first modern formal library in Iran.
Growth and development of the various library collections, documents and books necessitated the administrators to construct a vast library in 1962 which suited to multilateral user’s needs. In 1984 the former Senate library named library 2 was added to Consultative Assembly.
In 1996 based on a letter approved by the parliament, the library titled “Library, Museum and Document Center of the Islamic Consultative Assembly “under the supervision of Iran Parliament Head.
The library Parliament Heads are as follows: Joseph Etesam ol- Molk Ashtiani, Ebrahim Sharifi, Dr Taghi Tafazoli, Fakhri Rastkar, Mohammad Shahdadi, Abdol Hossein Haeri, Dr. Gholam Reza Fadai Araqi, Hojat ol- Eslam Seyed Mohammad Ali Ahmadi Abhari, DR. Ahmad Jalali and Hojat ol-Eslam Dr. Rasul Jafarian.
Today, the library with the use of modern equipments and rich resources especially in the field of Iranology has achieved an honorable stand not only in Iran but also in the Middle East. Numerous conferences, including the History of National Assembly, International Conference on the Common Heritage of Iran and Afghanestan, regular attendance at exhibitions, scientific conferences and specialized international organizations and so on are just some of the common projects of the library.
For the time being, Parliament Library consists of some sections : Manuscripts, library 1, Library 2, Iran Islamic Revolution Library, National and International Historical Document Center, Publications, Museum, Periodicals, Protection and Restoration of Manuscripts and Historical Documents, Digital Resources Unit , Digital Resources, Resource Organization Unit, Resource Providing Unit, Representative Library, Research Center, Noskhe Pajuhi ( Research Collection ), Nameye Baharestan ( Baharestan Letter )and Payame Baharestan ( Baharestan Message ).